Miss South Africa has become a much desired pageant, following a string of incredible victories that have catapulted past winners onto international stages.
- Being under 30 years of age is a requirement but there are no restrictions in terms of the applicant’s marital status or parental status to enter Miss South Africa.
- This year, Crown Chasers, a behind-the-scenes reality TV series will play a significant part of the Miss South Africa competition.
- There are no forms to download and no regional auditions to which hopefuls have to travel to have a chance to become Miss South Africa.
- Visit www.sandtontimes.co.za for more stories.
The Miss South Africa pageant celebrates the intelligence, talent, and beauty of young South African women. To enter the competition in 2023, candidates must meet 25 specific requirements. Is it possible for Miss South Africa to date? Can Miss South Africa be inked? What responsibilities does Miss South Africa have? How can I apply to be Miss South Africa? Many prospective participants have questions like these, and we may have some answers for you!
This is what you need to know if you want to enter Miss South Africa in 2023:
- An applicant must be at least 20 years old and be under 30 years of age as of August 13, 2023. This means that an applicant can turn 30 within her year of reign.
- The applicant must be a South African citizen and in possession of a valid South African ID document or passport. If the applicant holds dual citizenship, you’ll have to provide details of both.
- The applicant is not required be in possession of a valid driver’s license. However, in the event that the applicant makes it through as a finalist, they may be expected to have taken steps to attain their driver’s license by the time of the final pageant event (August 2023) due to sponsor requirements.
- The applicant may not have previously won Miss South Africa or held the title of Miss South Africa in a previous year. The applicant may not have placed as a runner-up within the two preceding pageant years (an applicant may enter again if they have been a finalist in a preceding year).
- The applicant should have no criminal record and be truthful in respect of all matters in relation to the run-up to the competition, the competition itself and the period after the competition.
- There are no restrictions in terms of the applicant’s marital status or parental status.
- There is no restriction in terms of tattoos or piercings that the applicant may have and there are also no height or weight specifications or requirements.
- The applicant must be able to represent and warrant that they have not been involved in any unsavoury or unethical incidents or conduct that may bring the organisers or the competition into disrepute, as determined by the organisers in their sole and absolute discretion. Unsavoury or unethical conduct shall include, but not be limited to, racism, bribery, sexism, and/or defamation.
- Applicants that progress to the next round of the competition will be required to familiarise themselves with and abide by a contestant handbook with all needed information, rules, dates, obligations, etc. ahead of commencing with the competition.
- In the event that any false or misleading information of whatsoever kind is submitted by the applicant, the organisation may, in its sole discretion, take any action that it deems appropriate including, without limitation, disqualification from participating in the Miss South Africa 2023 competition and/or termination of reign as a titleholder or as Miss South Africa 2023, as applicable.
- Finalists may be required to attend and/or endorse certain objectives as required by the Miss South Africa Organisation which may include online or physical attendance at sponsor events and workshops and are therefore not permitted to enter another competition or contracts that may coincide or conflict with the timeline of the pre-competition and pageant. Accordingly, applicants must refrain from placing themselves in a position that may create a conflict of interest and scheduling conflicts with Miss South Africa and take steps to suspend such pre-existing contracts, if necessary.
- Applicants to Miss South Africa 2023 are required to participate in Miss South Africa’s reality competition TV series Crown Chasers, as part of the competition process leading up to the finale event and crowning of Miss South Africa 2023.
- No family of the Miss South Africa Organisation or related companies, Sun International Limited, any sponsor, production company, advertising agencies or suppliers associated with the competition will be permitted to enter.
- Any official communication received from the Miss South Africa Organisation following an application is to remain strictly confidential. A failure to abide by this will result in automatic disqualification. Applicants that progress to the next round of the competition will be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement.
- Should you be selected to progress to the next round of Miss South Africa 2023, you will be required to ensure your availability for telephonic or online vetting and further assessment/s from early-May 2023. Format and details will be shared by the Miss South Africa Organisation.
- Should you be selected to progress to the interview round of Miss South Africa 2023, you will be required to ensure your availability for in-person judging from mid-May 2023. Format and details will be shared by the Miss South Africa Organisation.
- Should you be selected as a Miss South Africa 2023 finalist you will be required to ensure your availability to the Miss South Africa Organisation on a full-time basis from mid-May 2023 until end-June 2023 and from end-July 2023 to mid-August 2023 as well as intermittently through July 2023. Format and details will be shared by the Miss South Africa Organisation.
- The Miss South Africa 2023 pageant finale will take place in mid-August 2023, date to be confirmed.
- The applicant understands and agrees that should they be selected as a finalist contestant in the competition, the organiser may assign a booking agent to them. The applicant further understands that the organiser, together with the booking agent, will be responsible for a fee structure which will be applicable to the applicant’s bookings. The applicant understands that bookings can only be made through the appointed booking agent from the date of the finalist agreement until one year from the date of the Miss South Africa 2023 live finale.
- It is a condition of the applicant’s participation in the programme as one of the finalist contestants, that she enter into an agreement with an entity nominated by the Miss South Africa Organisation for the management of the applicant’s career in regard to the applicant’s name, likeness and biography in connection with advertising, endorsement, merchandising and sponsorship as a public figure and that this agreement will only become fully effective for the individuals selected as finalists of the competition or at the organisation’s option. The applicant must be able to warrant that as of the date of this agreement they have entered into no contract or arrangement which might prevent them from entering into the agreements specified in this clause above.
- Finalists of the competition hereby agree to be contracted to the Miss South Africa Organisation talent agency division for the year following the Miss South Africa 2023 pageant finale.
- The winner of the Miss South Africa 2023 pageant will be contracted to the Miss South Africa Organisation as a brand ambassador thereof for the full year of their reign. Following the completion of their reign they may be required to assist with up to 12 appearances.
- The runner-up of the Miss South Africa 2023 pageant will be contracted to the Miss South Africa Organisation as a brand ambassador thereof for the full year of their reign. Following the completion of their reign they may be required to assist with up to six appearances.
- Miss South Africa 2023 will be required to familiarise herself with and abide by the Miss South Africa code of conduct and handbook with additional information, rules, dates, obligations, etc. which will be provided to finalists ahead of commencing with the competition.
- All prizes and sponsorship benefits are for the sole benefit of the intended recipient, being Miss South Africa or the runner-up.
Entrants will be required to post an introduction video on social media by using #MissSA2023 and tagging Miss South Africa and Crown Chasers on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter. Those who wish to enter can simply enter on the Miss SA App (under the ENTER NOW page) or visit the Miss South Africa website, answer a number of questions, upload entry pictures (one head and shoulders and one full body image) and the link to their entry video.
Those wishing to enter Miss South Africa 2023 should watch the dedicated “How To” videos that will be released across the Miss South Africa Organisation’s official channels (websites and social media) as well as finding further details under Miss South Africa 2023 on the official Miss South Africa website.
Head back to The Sandton Times Home Page for more stories.