IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE IS SUBJECT TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE SET OUT BELOW. BY USING THIS SITE THE USER AGREES AND IS DEEMED TO HAVE AGREED TO OBSERVE ALL TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE, INCLUDING ANY PRIVACY OR OTHER POLICIES WHICH MAY APPEAR ELSEWHERE ON THIS WEBSITE.
“website owner” and/or “we” means THE SANDTON TIMES
Use of this site
1. THE SANDTON TIMES information service (“the information service”) is comprised of information and content, which includes but is not limited to advertising services, general news, e-commerce, interactive chat rooms, trading sites, news groups and forums (moderated and unmoderated) provided by THE SANDTON TIMES and third-parties with whom THE SANDTON TIMES has contracted.
2. THE SANDTON TIMES may, in its sole discretion, amend these terms and conditions from time to time at which time the new terms and conditions will immediately come into effect in respect of further usage.
3. Use of this website is strictly at the sole risk of the user.
4. Unless otherwise indicated, users are welcome to copy, download or print out any of the visible text or images on this website for personal use. (see clause 42 for definition of personal use).
5. Users wishing to utilise content for commercial purposes may only do so with the prior written permission of the website owner. Requests for commercial use may be submitted to the following address: editor@sandtontimes.
6. Any use of the content or any other part of this website, including any content sent to users, must be clearly accompanied by the following: “© The Sandton Times [insert year in which content is copied]. All rights reserved.”
7. THE SANDTON TIMES may, in its sole discretion, amend these terms and conditions from time to time at which time the new terms and conditions will immediately come into effect in respect of further usage.
Amendments to content and information
8. The website owner expressly reserves the right in its sole discretion to affect any amendment or alteration to the content and information, including pricing and rates, set out in this website.
9. Users acknowledge that it is their responsibility to familiarise themselves with any amendment or alteration affected.
Owner information & required disclosures under section 43 of the ECT Act
10. Please submit any query in respect of these Terms & Conditions or the use of this website to us in any of the following ways:
11. Users should regard nothing contained in this website as an offer but rather as an invitation to do business.
12. THIS ENTIRE WEBSITE, INCLUDING TEXT, IMAGES, LINKS, DOWNLOADS AND CODING, IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE”. THE WEBSITE OWNER MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES AS TO THE CORRECTNESS OR SUITABILITY OF EITHER THE WEBSITE OR THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN IT.
13. Subject to Chapter 7 of the ECT Act, the website owner, its officers, employees, suppliers, ISPs, partners, affiliates and agents, shall not be liable for any damage, loss or liability, howsoever arising, incurred by users or any other persons and resulting from the use or inability to use this website.
14. Subject to Chapter 7 of the ECT Act and to the fullest extent possible under the applicable law, the website owner disclaims all responsibility or liability for any damages, including but not limited to direct, economic, consequential loss or loss of profits, resulting from the use of this site in any manner.
15. The website owner has no control over third-party content and features which can be accessed through the use of this website and does not examine or edit such content and features or act as an agent for third-parties accessible through this website. As such and to the fullest possible extent permissible under law the website owner disclaims any liability whatsoever for any loss or damage arising from the use of third-party websites, contents and features.
16. USERS AGREE TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS THE WEBSITE OWNER, ITS OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, ISPs, SERVANTS, SUBCONTRACTORS, PARTNERS, SUBSIDIARIES AND AFFILIATES FROM ANY DEMAND, ACTION OR APPLICATION OR OTHER PROCEEDINGS, INCLUDING FOR ATTORNEYS FEES AND RELATED COSTS SUCH AS TRACING FEES, MADE BY ANY THIRD-PARTY AND ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USERS USE OF THIS WEBSITE, THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES OR ANY OF THE SERVICES OFFERED THROUGH SUCH SITES IN ANY WAY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE PROVISION OF CONTENT.
17. When making application to become a subscriber, users agree that:
18. Subscribers and users further undertake not to
19. Additional terms and conditions in respect of classified advertising are specified on the section of the website at which online transactions for classified advertising are entered into. While the text of classifieds may be submitted online, the transaction will only be finalised once all the details have been telephonically or otherwise confirmed with a sales representative.
20. The website owner offers a service whereby headlines featured on the website may be displayed on a website using RSS Feeds under an implied license. This service is available at no cost for non-commercial use.
21. Licences for commercial use of this service will be negotiated by the website owner on application.
22. The website owner reserves the right in its sole discretion and for whatever reason to require users of the syndication service to immediately cease using it upon receipt of notification in this regard.
RECEIPT OF DATA MESSAGES
23. Data messages, including e-mail messages, sent by users to the website owner shall be deemed to be received only when acknowledged or responded to.
24. Data messages sent by the website owner to users shall be regarded as received when the complete data message enters an information system designated or used for that purpose by the recipient and is capable of being retrieved and processed by the recipient.
25. The website owner reserves the right not to respond to any e-mail or other data message which contains obscene, threatening, defamatory or otherwise illegal, unlawful or inappropriate content, and to take the appropriate action against the sender of such e-mail where necessary.
MONITORING AND INTERCEPTION OF DATA MESSAGES
26. In order to provide a relevant and secure service, and where required to do so under law, the website owner may monitor and/or intercept electronic communications such as e-mail which are sent to this website. To the full extent necessary under law the user hereby acknowledges that he or she is aware of such potential monitoring and/or interception and consents thereto.
Use of forum and chat room
27. Users and members irrevocably agree that all Content provided by them, whether posted on their site or elsewhere or where privately transmitted, is and remains the sole responsibility of the member from which such Content originated.
28. The website owner does not control any Content posted through the services which it provides, although it retains the right (but not obligation), in its sole and absolute discretion, to remove any material which is the subject of a complaint.
29. Users and members agree that they will not utilise this website or any service provided on it to
Submission of content
30. Any content received by e-mail or other data message will be assumed to have been submitted for publication free of charge, unless the sender clearly stipulates that payment for the content is required and includes all relevant contact and pricing information in the e-mail or other data message.
31. The publication of content, either on-line or off-line, is within the sole and exclusive discretion of the website owner.
32. While we take all reasonable security precautions and are subject to, no liability will lie for damage caused by the malicious use of this site or by destructive data or code that is passed on to the user through the use of this site.
33. The following acts in connection with this website are expressly prohibited:
34. We will pursue prosecution of and compensation from any person that delivers or attempts to deliver any destructive code to this website or attempts to gain unauthorized access to any page on or part of this website.
Copyright and Intellectual Property protection
35. Copyright in all information, images, source codes and other original material contained in this website which is not attributed to a third-party, is held by or licensed to the website owner. THE WEBSITE OWNER ASSERTS AND RESERVES ALL ITS RIGHTS, INCLUDING MORAL RIGHTS, IN THIS REGARD.
36. The website owner grants to users a personal, non-exclusive, non-assignable and non-transferable license to use, print and display all content and information on any machine of which the user is the primary user for non-commercial purposes only.
37. If you believe that this site in any way infringes a third-party copyright or other intellectual property right please first contact us by using the following address: editor@sandtontimes.
Privacy and Confidentiality of communications
39. The website owner may monitor and intercept communications made through his website in order to promote the secure and efficient operation of the website. Users irrevocably agree that they consent to such interception and monitoring as may be reasonably carried out by the website owner.
Advertising and sponsorship
40. This website may contain advertising and sponsorship. Advertisers and sponsors are responsible for ensuring that material submitted for inclusion in this website complies with all applicable laws and regulations.
41. The website owner accordingly excludes, to the fullest possible extent permissible under law, any responsibility or liability for any error or inaccuracy appearing in advertising or sponsorship material.
42. Automated transactions and searches are subject to these terms and conditions.
43. The use of malicious search technology is prohibited.
44. The use of search technology in an unlawful manner or for the collecting or harvesting of data for commercial gain is prohibited.
45. Search technology which does not unduly retard the operation of this website is acceptable but the website owner reserves the right to prohibit any specific entity from employing search technology on the website.
Hyperlinks, deep links & framing
46. Permission to link to this website is given without assumption of any liability. We reserve the right to withdraw permission granted to link to this website at any time and for any reason.
47. Hyperlinks and/or advertisements contained on this website and directed towards other websites or users are provided without any warranties or endorsements as to the content, suitability, accuracy or security of the site linked to. This website in no manner controls or edits the content of sites or pages linked to, and disclaims all liability, direct or indirect, which may arise from the use or inability to use a link or a linked-to website.
48. Use of the sites or pages linked to is accordingly exclusively at the risk of the user.
49. The express permission in writing of the website owner, which may be subject to conditions, is required before this site, any of its pages and/or any of the information contained on the site is framed. Requests for permission can be submitted to the following email address: editor@sandtontimes.
Competitions and prize draws
50. This website may, from time to time, run competitions and other promotions. These will be subject to additional terms and conditions which will be made available to users and/or entrants at the applicable time.
Termination of this agreement
51. The website owner reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion and without prior notification, to terminate the provision of this website and/or to terminate the access rights of any user where, for example and without limitation:
The law that governs this Agreement
52. The user hereby agrees that the law applicable to these terms and conditions of use, their interpretation and any matter or litigation in connection therewith or arising from them will be the Law of South Africa.
53. This website is owned, hosted and maintained within the Republic of South Africa.
54. When using this site and agreeing to these Terms and Conditions such use and agreement is deemed to have taken place in South Africa.
55. Users of this website are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the South African law relating to electronic communications and transactions as contained in the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act 25 of 2002.
Consent to jurisdiction
56. The user consents to the jurisdiction of the Magistrate’s Court having jurisdiction in terms of section 28 of the Magistrate’s Court Act as amended in respect of any dispute flowing from the use of this website.
OR DISPUTE RESOLUTION
57. Any dispute arising out of or in connection with these Terms and Conditions including any question regarding its existence, validity or termination, shall be settled by the online dispute resolution process in accordance with the TrustEnforce.org Mediation and Arbitration rules, which rules are deemed to be incorporated by reference into this clause.
58. Where the dispute has arisen in South Africa between parties in South Africa the place of the arbitration is deemed to be Cape Town, so the arbitration will be governed by these rules and by the arbitration Law of South Africa and the dispute will be resolved in accordance with the Law of South Africa.
59. Where the dispute has arisen between parties in different countries the arbitration is deemed to be an international arbitration, and the place of the arbitration is deemed to be Auckland, New Zealand, so the arbitration will be governed by the TrustEnforce.org mediation and arbitration rules and by the arbitration Law of New Zealand, which has adopted the UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration. In the case of an international arbitration the dispute will be resolved in accordance with the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (1980)(if concerned with the sale of goods)and the UNIDROIT Principles of International Commercial Contracts (1994), supplemented where necessary by the CENTRAL List of Lex Mercatoria principles, rules and standards.
60. The language used during the dispute resolution process will be English.
61. Further information on Trustenforce.org is available from www.trustenforce.org.
Amendment of the terms and conditions of this Agreement
62. Please note that, due to legal and other developments, we may be required to amend these Terms and Conditions of Use from time to time. Please refer to the last revision date at the foot of this page.
63. We will attempt to give notice of any amendments, but reserve the right to effect binding amendments, additions or deletions without notice.
Enforceability of this Agreement
64. Users may not cede, sub-license or otherwise transfer any rights they may have under these terms and conditions or which may otherwise have been obtained through the use of this site.
65. In the event of any part of these Terms and Conditions being found to be partially or fully unenforceable, for whatever reason, this shall not affect the application or enforceability of the remainder of this Agreement.
67. Failure to enforce any provision of these Terms and Conditions shall not be deemed a waiver of such provision nor of the right to enforce such provision.