After 3-years of no laughs, the Savanna Comics Choice Comedy Awards reinvigorated the annual recognition for comedians across South Africa, hosted in greater Sandton.
- The 10th edition of the awards announced, honoured and celebrated the best of the best in comedy and comedic content creators.
- Held at The Galleria in Sandton comedians, celebrities, influencers and comedy-loving fans went all out, dressing to impress for the “Birthday Black Tie” theme.
- Alan Committee was honoured as the Hall of Fame recipient for 2023.
- Visit www.sandtontimes.co.za for more stories.
From camera flashes popping on the Savanna carpet to live DJ sets and electric performances with unstoppable energy, the microphone belonged to the 10 winners of the evening, who have kept South Africa laughing through the darkest of times.
The 2023 Savanna Comics Choice Comedy Awards winners are:
- 2023 Savanna Comics Choice Comedy Awards: The Joe Mafela Award winner, Nonto R.
- 2023 Savanna Comics Choice Comedy Awards: Comedian of the Year Award winner, Robby Collins.
- 2023 Savanna Comics Choice Comedy Awards: Hall of Fame Award winner, Alan Committie.
Even though Alan Committe couldn’t be at the awards on the night as he was performing his show at Montecasino, he accepted his trophy live from stage via video link-up between the two venues. Long-time friend Eddy Cassar, presented Alan with his award, who went onto to deliver a heartfelt thanks to the industry for honouring him.
Each winner did five minutes of stand-up, in place of an acceptance speech, which ensured the audience was kept in stitches.
Hosted by comedian heavyweight, himself a Savanna Comics Choice Comedy Awards winner a few times over, Loyiso Gola carried the show and brought it all together. He closed the show with fellow comedian, Nina Hastie, when they presented the pinnacle of the night, the Comedian of the Year Award.
The show opened with an in-flight safety briefing that quickly transformed into an entertaining live dance performance by award-winning, internationally recognised choreographer and DJ, Courtnaé Paul, accompanied by comedian cum dancer, Ambrose Uren.
A surprise show moment saw drag artist sensation, Edó, perform a captivating live-singing piano medley, while “flight attendants” handed out complementary Savanna Ciders and Grumpy Snacks to enthused guests to keep the festivities high. The night was also the time to finally reveal the refreshed and modernised awards trophy, lovingly called, Waldo. Now lighter and sleeker, it was much easier for the winners to lift their Waldo’s aloft in celebration.
The awards exists to celebrate comedians and comedic content creators. It’s about giving back to the industry and really using the awards as a platform to promote and support comedy in all its forms. Most of the awards were presented by previous winners and wherever possible we’ve collaborated and consulted with the industry to make these awards happen.
// Savanna Comics Choice Comedy Awards Producer, Manuela Dias de Deus
Both the Savanna Newcomer Showcase (May 6 at 7pm) and the Savanna Comics Choice Comedy Awards (May 13 at 7pm) will be broadcast on Me (DStv Channel 115).
Head back to The Sandton Times Home Page for more stories.