Friday, October 13, 2023 is another Friday the 13th and as superstition goes, it has many avoiding century old beliefs, that some consider irrational or trivial.
- It can be challenging to express your fear of Friday the 13th in words but fear of the number 13 is known as Paraskevidekatriaphobia.
- Friday The 13th can occur up to three times in the same year.
- The day has become ingrained in pop-culture, from movies to multiple legends as to how the day got its notoriety.
- Visit www.sandtontimes.co.za for more stories.
Friday the 13th – a day that has been surrounded by superstition for centuries. The fear of this particular day has been so pervasive that it has been given its own name: Friggatriskaidekaphobia. The fear of the number 13 and its irrational or supernatural attributed consequences, has led cruise lines, airlines and even hotels omitting the 13th floor or row.
Although it is widely accepted that this is an irrational fear, it is still something that a lot of people take seriously. Here are some of the ‘superstitions’ or things you should avoid on Friday the 13th, just to be on the safe side:
1. Don’t Make Big Decisions: It is best to avoid making any major decisions on Friday the 13th – or so the superstition goes. Even if it is something that you have been thinking about for a while, it is still best to wait until the day has passed. This is because it is believed that you are more likely to make a bad decision on this day and it is better to err on the side of caution…especially during happy hour at the local cocktail bar.
2. Avoid Traveling: Traveling on this day is generally seen as bad luck. This is because it is believed that you are more likely to encounter delays or other problems while traveling on this day. If you are planning a trip, it is best to wait until after the day has passed. Just stay at home and watch Netflix instead?
3. Don’t Gamble: Gambling is a risky activity at the best of times and it is even riskier on Friday the 13th. This is because it is believed that Lady Luck will not be on your side on this day. If you do decide to gamble, make sure that you only gamble with money that you can afford to lose.
4. Don’t Step On A Crack: Dating back to previous centuries, the belief that the number of cracks stepped on would predict the number of fractured bones, was just one aspect of the superstition. Additionally, it was believed that cracks led to hell and that stepping on them would let demons loose on the world. Since then we’ve moved on from mere cracks to potholes, and hitting one of those unleashes a whole different kind of evil spirit!
5. Don’t Cross Ladders: Crossing ladders is another superstition that is widely accepted. While it may seem harmless, it is believed that this can bring bad luck. To be on the safe side, it is best to avoid crossing ladders on Friday the 13th. Let someone else go change that lightbulb!
6. Don’t Break Mirrors: Breaking a mirror is believed to bring seven years of bad luck. This superstition is particularly strong on Friday the 13th and it is best to avoid breaking mirrors on this day. Besides, it’s hard to put on make-up with a broken mirror.
7. Don’t Walk Under Ladders: This superstition is the same as crossing ladders. Walking under ladders is believed to bring bad luck and it is best to avoid doing so on Friday the 13th.
8. Don’t Open An Umbrella Indoors: Opening an umbrella indoors on Friday the 13th is considered bad luck according to superstition and its origins are varied. It is believed that doing so may bring bad luck or misfortune to the person opening the umbrella indoors. Unless the geysers burst and pouring through the ceiling, in which case, you’ve already had some bad luck!
9. Don’t Spill Any Salt: Spilling salt on Friday the 13th is thought to bring bad luck and likely dates back to the days when Salt was worth more than precious metals. It is believed that spilling salt on this day will bring misfortune to whoever spills it. Therefore, it is best to avoid spilling salt on Friday the 13th to avoid any potential bad luck. Rather just sprinkle it over your fillet, like the Salt Bae.
10. Don’t Pick Up A Coin Facing Down: It is considered bad luck to pick up coins that are facing down on Friday the 13th. It is believed that this will bring bad luck and misfortune. But with Apple Pay and Credit Cards, this should be an easy one to avoid.
11. Stay Away From Black Cats: Like many other Friday the 13th beliefs, there is little scientific evidence to suggest that bad luck is associated with black cats on Friday the 13th, and it is not a superstition that is widely practiced. However, some people may believe that black cats are associated with bad luck and may feel uncomfortable around them on this day. Go cuddle a Rabbit or Schnauzer instead.
Even though these superstitions may seem silly, some might want to avoid them on Friday the 13th. This is because it is better to be safe than sorry, right? Next year, will see two Friday the 13th – Friday, September 13, 2024 and Friday, December 13, 2024.
Head back to The Sandton Times Home Page for more stories.