The Gautrain Management Agency (GMA) marked Mandela Day 2023 by participating in the Maxeke for Mandela Day Initiative which saw various partners of the Charlotte Mannya-Maxeke Institute (CMMI) planting vegetables at Morris Isaacson High School in Soweto.
- Mandela Day is an annual global celebration to honour the life and legacy of Nelson Mandela.
- GMA signed a partnership with CMMI at the beginning of 2023 with the objective to specifically focus on youth and women education, empowerment and upliftment.
- GMA employees enjoyed celebrating Mandela Day by getting their hands dirty for a good cause that benefits the community.
- Visit www.sandtontimes.co.za for more stories.
GMA also donated seedlings and garden tools for the school’s Vegetable Garden Programme. CMMI initiated the Vegetable Garden Programme at the school with a mission to:
- Skill the learners to start and maintain vegetable gardens at school and at home
- Prepare them as future farmers, future leaders and graduates in the agriculture sector
- Ensure food security for the learners and the school kitchen (contributing to the National School Nutrition Programme).
- Offer 25% of the harvest to the school kitchen, 50% of the harvest for learners to take home and 25% of the harvest for the surrounding community
CMMI’s Maxeke for Mandela Day initiative speaks to GMA’s values and the Vegetable Garden Programme’s mission strongly resonates with GMA’s Social Investment Programme’s objectives of education, community care, township development and caring for the environment.
For Mandela Day 2023, there was a call to plant trees and grow food gardens, to fight climate change and to help communities overcome food insecurity.
Head back to The Sandton Times Home Page for more stories.