If the new Netflix sports docuseries FULL SWING has you hooked, a new golf tournament called LIV Golf – rival to the established PGA – might have you asking a series of questions.
- LIV Golf is a professional golf tour backed by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund.
- The term “LIV” stands for 54 in Roman numerals, the result on a par-72 course if every hole were birdied, and the total number of holes played at LIV competitions.
- In 2023, the Invitational Series changed its name to the LIV Golf League.
- Visit www.sandtontimes.co.za for more stories.
LIV Golf consists of a league system, including a 14-event schedule and 48 contracted players. Every time one of the top golfers in the world takes the tee, they are simultaneously competing in a team event and an individual tournament. In the individual competition, every stroke counts, and the person who accumulates the fewest shots over the course of 54 holes is declared the winner. The overall prize pool for the league is a staggering $405-million. The LIV Golf season is planned to avoid clashing with major PGA Tour events and global team competitions. The Centurion Club outside London, England, hosted the opening round of the LIV Golf Invitational Series in 2022.
In 2023, there will be 14 tournaments held worldwide as part of the LIV Golf League. Players fight for both individual and team points as well as cash prizes at each one. The points earned throughout the season will determine the Individual Champion, and there will also be a Team Championship competition at the end of the season.
The 2023 LIV Golf Teams:
- 4Aces GC made up of Dustin Johnson (Captain), Pat Perez, Patrick Reed and Peter Uihlein
- Cleeks GC made up of Martin Kaymer (Captain), Richard Bland, Graeme McDowell and Bernd Wiesberger.
- Crushers GC made up of Bryson DeChambeau (Captain), Paul Casey, Charles Howell III and Anirban Lahiri.
- Fireballs GC made up of Sergio Garcia (Captain), Abraham Ancer, Eugenio Chacarra and Carlos Oritz.
- HyFlyers GC made up of Phil Mickelson (Captain), James Piot, Brendan Steele and Cameron Tringale.
- Iron Heads GC made up of Kevin Na (Captain), Shiwan Kim, Danny Lee and Scott Vincent.
- Majesticks GC made up of Ian Poulter (Captain), Henrik Stenson, Lee Westwood and Sam Horsfield.
- RangeGoats GC made up of Bubba Watson (Captain), Talor Gooch, Thomas Pieters and Harold Varner III.
- Ripper GC made up of Cameron Smith (Captain), Matt Jones, March Leishman and Jediah Morgan.
- Smash GC made up of Brooks Koepka (Captain), Chase Koepka, Jason Kokrak and Matthew Wolff.
- Stinger GC made up of Louis Oosthuizen (Captain), Dean Burmester, Branden Grace and Charl Schwartzel.
- Torque GC made up of Joaquin Niemann (Captain), David Puig, Sebastian Munoz and Mito Pereira.
The 2023 LIV Golf Schedule:
- Mayakoba (El Camaleón Golf Course, Mexico) February 24 – 26, 2023
- Tucson (The Gallery Golf Club, USA) March 17 – 19, 2023
- Orlando (Orange County National, USA) March 31 – April 2, 2023
- Adelaide (The Grange Golf Club, Australia) April 21 – 24, 2023
- Singapore (Sentosa Golf Club, Singapore) April 28 – May 1, 2023
- Tulsa (Cedar Ridge Country Club, USA) May 12 – 14, 2023
- DC (Trump National Golf Club Washington DC, USA) May 26 – 28, 2023
- Valderrama (Real Club Valderrama, Spain) June 30 – July 2, 2023
- London (Centurion Golf Club, UK) July 7 – 9, 2023
- Greenbrier (The Old White at The Greenbrier, USA) August 4 – 6, 2023
- Bedminster (Trump National Golf Club Bedminster, USA) August 11 – 13, 2023
- Chicago (Rich Harvest Farms, USA) September 22 – 24, 2023
- Miami (Trump National Doral, USA) October 20 – 22, 2023
- Jeddah (Royal Greens Golf & Country Club, Saudi Arabia) November 3 – 5, 2023
Head back to The Sandton Times Home Page for more stories.