CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATE: PREPARATORY SCHOOL IN SANDTON CLOSED
As concerns over the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) grows, the Gauteng Department of Education has confirmed that Grayston Preparatory School in Sandton has been closed for today.
This comes as a staff member has been in direct contact with a person who tested positive with the coronavirus (COVID-19), following a trip that recently returned from Italy. The teacher has been isolated for possible coronavirus (COVID-19) and observation.
The department of health will be dealing with this latest development and officials have been deployed to the school.
Guidelines to avoid catching or spreading coronavirus (COVID-19):
1. Wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds.
2. Always wash your hands when you get home or into work.
3. Use hand sanitiser gel (that contains at least 60% alcohol) if soap and water are not available.
4. Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze.
5. Put used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands afterwards.
6. Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
7. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
8. Avoid body contact including shaking hands.
9. Clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces daily in common areas including tables, hard-backed chairs, doorknobs, light switches, remotes, handles, desks, toilets, sinks etc.
South Africa has registered 3 coronavirus (COVID-19) cases. Globally, there have been over 110’625 coronavirus (COVID-19) cases, with 3’831 deaths and 62’397 recoveries as of March 9, 2020. The World Health Organisation (WHO) is working 24/7 to analyse data, provide advice, coordinate with partners, help countries prepare, increase supplies and manage expert networks.