The winners of the 2021 Diners Club Winemaker and Young Winemaker of the Year awards were announced at a black-tie gala dinner at La Cotte in Franschhoek last week, with Justin van Wyk (Constantia Glen) and Herman du Preez (Stellenrust Wines) claiming top honours respectively.
- The Winemaker and Young Winemaker awards focus on quality and recognition of excellence.
- The award is regarded as the country’s most prestigious and well-respected wine industry competition.
- The Winemaker of the Year is in its 41st year, while the Young Winemaker has been running for 21 years.
- Visit www.sandtontimes.co.za for more stories.
The awards are presented to the winemakers who produce a wine that the judging panel considers the best in a specified class. The categories for 2021 were Bordeaux Style Red Blends for Winemaker of the Year, and White Wines of any varietal or blend for Young Winemaker of the Year.
The field was narrowed down to eleven finalists through rigorous judging by a panel of wine experts: with six winemakers shortlisted for the prestigious Winemaker of the Year award, and five for the Young Winemaker of the Year title.
Celebrating the skills and talent of the vintners, these awards are open to all in the South African wine industry at no cost, thus affording all winemakers an equal opportunity.
The 2021 Diners Club Winemaker of the Year Judges are:
- Thierry Haberer – International Judge
- Carrie Adams
- Dr. Winnie Bowman
- Nomonde Kubheka
- Billet Magara
The winning Winemaker receives R50’000 while the Young Winemaker, R25’000 and a trip to an exciting wine-producing destination.
Head back to The Sandton Times Home Page for more stories.