INSIGHT: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW FOR THE H&M OPENING IN SANDTON CITY
You read it here first. From 11am, the first shoppers arrive at H&M’s Sandton City store and begin the 24-hour wait to be the first in line to purchase the highly anticipated Balmain x H&M collection amongst other H&M items. The Sandton Times has managed to obtain some insights for those planning to be part of the grand opening.
This week, The Sandton Times joined more than 1000 fashionistas, celebrities and members of the media gathered for the VIP party of H&M’s Sandton City store, to preview, in particular, Balmain x H&M ahead of the rest of the world. The invited guests were treated to flowing and flying glasses of champagne, a few snacks and upbeat music whilst browsing the impressive 2700 square meters of both men’s and women’s fashion. The highlight of the evening was the reveal of the exclusive H&M x Balmaination Collection that launched globally on November 5 – and was snapped up in an instant.
The preview evening was filled with glitz and clamor as Sandton’s fashion scene rubbed shoulders and competitively purchased with top celebrities and international and local movers and shoppers. Spotted in the crowd were quite a few well-known names, as well as top stylists, bloggers and models.
Adding to the excitement of the evening was a set by 3 of South Africa’s of top DJ acts – DJ Zinhle, LCNVL and award-winning DJ Black Coffee. They all hit the decks and wowed the crowd with high-energy tracks that spun late into the evening. Shopping was the order of the day as excited as some VIP’s went home happy, with bags of the latest H&M summer fashions and pieces from the exclusive H&M x Balmaination Collection.
The most anticipated items at the new Sandton City H&M store will be H&M‘s designer collaboration with French haute couture fashion house Balmain, better known as Balmain x H&M. The final collection consists of 44 pieces of clothing for women and 30 for men. On top of that, the Balmain team has worked with H&M to create 21 accessories for women and five for men. The result is the most advanced, crafted and tailored pieces ever created by H&M.
If the VIP preview is anything to go by, this is the section shoppers do not want to take lightly. The Sandton Times was hugely disappointed in not getting the Balmain x H&M jacket in an Italian wool weave with metal lion motif embroidered, and a satin shawl collar in a straight silhouette with a gently suppressed waist and no buttons.
So what makes the Balmain x H&M collaboration so special and what is all the hype about? The leather jacket and the embroidered blazer are the only men’s garments that are made in limited edition. These garments will be sold in 62 H&M stores worldwide.
This is a shot of the marquees erected on the 8th floor of Sandton City, close to the Tiger Wheel and Tyre, as part of the launch plans to streamline those wanting to queue overnight. The Sandton Times attempted to take a closer look at arrangements but was promptly turned away by security and an H&M official, not willing to divulge any details. Here is what The Sandton Times could obtain from H&M‘s Terms and Conditions:
- The first 3000 customers in line will receive a goody bag on the opening day and in order to qualify for a goody bag, customers will have to receive a wrist band.
- The first 500 customers in line will received a free gift card on opening day – the value and time of hand out will be at the discretion of H&M and only customers over the age of 10 years are eligible for a gift card.
- In order to receive a wrist band, customers, need to join the H&M Team at the Marquee on the 8th floor of Sandton City.
- To join the queue each customer will receive a wrist band and only one wrist band will be allocated per customer. Wrist bands cannot be collected on behalf of other customers not present. Wrist bands are not transferable and the numbered wrist band will indicate the customers’ position in the queue.
- Queuing customers will be moved from the Marquee to the designated queue areas within Sandton City on the morning of November 7 by H&M ushers and security.
- Customers will be allowed a restroom break of 15 minutes at a time. A restroom pass will be given to each customer by the H&M usher when necessary. This restroom pass is to be given back to security usher in order to be allowed back in the queue. If a customer’s break is longer than 15 minutes, they will be denied return to their original space in the queue and need to join the back of the queue.
- H&M will not provide customers with any food, warm clothing or sleeping gear but refreshments will be for sale in the Marquee.